|Description||Hewat was born in Edinburgh on June 1, 1884, and was educated at Edinburgh Academy and at Edinburgh University, where he graduated M.B., Ch.B. in 1907. He was elected a Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in 1911, becoming a Fellow of the College three years later. In 1935 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. |
After graduating he held the posts of house-surgeon and house physician at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, working as an assistant to Sir Robert Philip at the out-patient clinique for tuberculosis patients, and later was senior resident medical officer at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh. Subsequent appointments included those of resident medical officer at the convalescent home of the Royal Infirmary, clinical assistant and tutor at the Royal Infirmary, physician to the New Town Dispensary, clinical assistant to the Royal Victoria Dispensary for Diseases of the Chest, and assistant to the lecturer in pathology and bacteriology at the Surgeons' Hall. During this period he took the L.M. at the Rotunda Hospital, Dublin, in 1910. Subsequently he became a lecturer in the Edinburgh postgraduate vacation course.
In the first world war he served with the R.A.M.C. as a specialist physician at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, being mentioned in dispatches. After the war he returned to Edinburgh, and was appointed assistant to the professor of tuberculosis in the university and assistant physician at the Royal Infirmary, where he ultimately became consulting physician, and physician to the Kingscroft Hospital, Barnton. When the British Medical Association held its Annual Meeting at Edinburgh in 1927, Fergus Hewat was the local honorary secretary of the Meeting, under the presidency of Sir Robert Philip, and demonstrated his competence in administration. At the Cardiff Meeting of the Association in the following year he served as a vice-president of the Section of Medicine. He also gave his services to the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in many notable ways, first as secretary, then as curator of the College laboratory, and later as president during 1943-5. After vacating the chair he was appointed a trustee of the College, and for some years had been the senior trustee.
[Source: British Medical Journal obituary]
Contents: Notes taken from lectures on clinical surgery and clinical medicine, 1904-c1906; notes taken from Sir H Croom's lectures on gynaecology and midwifery, 1905; notes taken from Sir Alexander Bruce's lectures on nervous diseases, 1905.