|Description||Collection of Professor W T Ritchie, containing 3 envelopes, two relating to the Donaldson's Hospital. The hospital was founded in West Coates, Edinburgh in 1851 as Donaldson's Hospital by Sir James Donaldson (1751–1830), who, for a time, was publisher of the Edinburgh Advertiser. The original benefaction allowed for special bursaries for poor children. Not all were deaf, although applications on behalf of deaf children were encouraged. From 1938, pupils were exclusively deaf. |
The third envelope relates to the National Radium Trust and Radium Commission which was established in 1929 with the purpose of augmenting the supply of radium for use in the treatments of the sick, and advancing knowledge of the methods for rendering treatment. It was not a government department, most of the Trust's funds having been subscribed on the basis of its independence.
Contents: National Radium Trust and Radium Commission, two letters (1932 and 1936)