|Title||Collection of the Royal Maternity Hospital|
|Description||The Maternity Hospital opened in 1879 as Edinburgh's first planned maternity hospital building, and was preceded by the General Lying in Hospital (1793) and its variously named successors. It was funded by a collection to commemorate Sir James Young Simpson's contribution to obstetrics. The first ante-natal clinic in Britain began there in 1915; and a post-natal clinic followed in 1926, the same year it amalgamated with the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. Simpson Memorial Maternity Pavilion opened in 1939. From 1939 the 'Simpson' was directly managed by the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh as one of its grouped hospitals and became part of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh National Health Service Trust in 1994. As a result of hospital re-organisation in 1999, it was placed in the Lothian University Hospitals NHS [National Health Service] Trust.|
[Source: Lothian Health Services Archive website: http://www.lhsa.lib.ed.ac.uk/collections/LHB3/LHB3.pdf]
Contents: Indoor case book, 1844-1872
|Term||Obstetrics and gynaecology|
Show related Persons records.