|Description||Andrew St Clair was the Professor of Institutes of Medicine and Physiology at the University of Edinburgh 1726-1747.|
[Source: 'History of Scottish Medicine' by John D Comrie]
STA/1/1-12 are from the Andrew Duncan collection. Wording on bookplate:
This Collection of Manuscript Lectures, by the Founders of the Medical College at Edinburgh, viz. Dr Monro primus, Drs Rutherford, Alston, St Clair and Plummer, consisting of Seventy Volumes, was purchased by Dr Duncan sen. in the year 1772, from Mr John Murray, bookseller in London, for seven guineas.
Dr Duncan has given directions, that after his death, these Manuscript Lectures, together with One Hundred Volumes of Practical Observations on Medicine, in his own handwriting, and which he has employed as notes for Clinical Lectures, shall be presented to the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh, to be deposited in their Library.
His intention is, that this Collection of Manuscripts, may convey to Posterity, a testimony of his own Industry, and of the Abilities of some of his Medical Preceptors, whose Characters, as long as Medicine continues to be cultivated as a Science, will do honour to the College of Physicians and University of Edinburgh. June 4 1812.
STA/2/1-3 were owned by Edward Lyne but the immediate provenance is unknown.
STA/3 was owned by Dr James Hamilton junior but the immediate provenance is unknown.
Contents: 'Praelectio Medicinae', c1735; 'Praelectiones Institutiones Boerhaavii', 1740; 'Theoria Medicinae', c1739