|Description||Young lectured in midwifery at the University of Edinburgh 1756-1783, the first to give a systematic course of lectures on the subject. Dr Young had joined the Incorporation of Surgeons in 1751 and was elected Dean of the Incorporation in 1756. Importantly, it was he who applied to the managers of the Royal Infirmary to have a ward dedicated to lying-in women. A ward was allocated in the attic which Young fitted out at his own expense and this was the origin of the Edinburgh Maternity Hospital.|
In 1780 the Town Council elected Alexander Hamilton to be conjunct professor of midwifery alongside Young until Young's death in 1783 when Hamilton became sole professor.
[Source: 'History of Scottish Medicine' by John D Comrie]
Contents: Lectures on midwifery and diseases of women by Dr Young, 1777-178?; case book on midwifery, c1755; manuscript book on midwifery, c1759