CodeDS/UK/9
Person NameAldis; Charles (c1775-1863); Sir; physician
Datesc1775-1863
TitleSir
Epithetphysician
HistoryAldis was the seventh son and of Daniel Aldis, a medical practitioner of Aslacton, Norfolk, and his wife, Mary, and was born on 16 March 1776. Apprenticed to his father in 1789, he travelled to London in 1794 and studied at Guy's and St Bartholomew's hospitals.

In 1797 or 1798 Aldis was made surgeon to the sick and wounded prisoners of war at Norman Cross barracks, Huntingdonshire (where 10,000-12,000 French and Dutch prisoners were then detained). In 1800 he moved to Hertford, where he introduced vaccination into three parishes in spite of opposition from other doctors, and then in 1802 he began to practise in Old Burlington Street, London. In 1803 he became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons. Aldis also became surgeon to the New Finsbury Dispensary, and he founded a special hospital, called the Glandular Institution for the Cure of Cancer, in Clifford Street. His Observations on the Nature and Treatment of Glandular Diseases appeared in 1820. Aldis was known as an antiquary as well as a surgeon and medical writer, and he was knighted by the lord lieutenant of Ireland for his contributions to medical literature. He had also won a reputation as a philanthropist, having been for many years 'connected with benevolent objects in the metropolis and elsewhere' (GM, 689). He died on 28 March 1863 at his home, 13 Old Burlington Street. He was survived by his son Charles James Berridge Aldis (1808-1872).

Show related catalogue records.

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017